What is it?
ADWHORE.NET is an extension for YouTube that highlights and skips ads from corrupt bloggers.
- Safari - extension’s ready, need 1-2 weeks to publish
- Android - planned for beta release
- iOS - planned for beta release
YouTube is slowly but surely turning from an awesome independent platform into a commercial dumpster.
In 2020, the “personal opinion” of almost any popular youtuber is sold and bought on special exchanges, and adwhores put it on stream: no one cares about reputation.
It’s huge problem in Post-Soviet states and some countries of the world.
Adwhores advertise absolutely everything that they are willing to pay for: from quality products of world-famous brands to outright slag, casinos and high-risk investments.
This confidence bubble will soon burst and affect everything: and adwhores, and honest youtubers.
We are going to prevent this and for this we need Your help!
The main task of ADN is a guerrilla warfare with influence marketing.
Our partisans report every ad integration in YouTube videos so that extension users can skip it.
Whether the ad is blocked or not depends on how the blogger approaches the ad and the extension user settings.
We want to single out conscientious bloggers among others, force adwhores stop abusing the trust of its audience and turn off the information noise of those who are not interested in it.
ADN starts with the CIS and ends with the whole world.
How can I help?
- Download the extension and distribute it to your friends and residents of your utility.
- Report ads in new videos, noting whether they are acceptable or not.
- In the stores of your browser extensions, leave an honest review, it will greatly help ADN.
- After skipping an ad, be sure to like it if the report about it is correct and complain about the incorrect one.
- Help with ideas, art, bug reports, and stars on Github.
- If you have the opportunity, help the project financially on Patreon.
How does it work?
- The User marks the ad, its category (integration, self-promotion, illegal, etc), pokes a couple of checkboxes, and sends it to the server.
- The acceptance rate is calculated for each ad: it depends on the ad category, whether the YouTuber reported was paid for it, and how the blogger behaved in the past.
- Other Users, skipping ads, rate the User’s report.
- If the ad’s confidence level is good enough, their report is ready for auto-skip; if not, you can skip it with the button.
- If the User was the first, the flag of his country and nickname will adorn the video forever. The lack of a flag in the video indicates that there were no reports and you can be the first!
- If all is well, the User, his country, and faction receive points for each player’s block. The more points - the higher the level of confidence in reports, impact on others, and a higher place in the leaderboard!
- The team of moderators periodically checks reports and perpetuates reliable ones, making it difficult for the inevitable vandalism.
- If a User is detected in vandalism, all their participation in the project such as likes, skips, or reports is reset to zero using StalinSort.
- For each ad fragment, the acceptance level is calculated based on how honest the blogger is with his audience. If ADN finds out that the blogger tried to fool the audience, did not stated the fact of sponsorship of the video, advertised fraudsters - its BAD GUY index will be higher. If the blogger was honest with his audience, if his ad corresponds to the topic of the blog and does not cause rejection by any sane person, then it will be scrolled less often. The User can always set up skipping all known ads.
- Users can compete among themselves, between their countries, and even win the cold war!
- To make it more fun, in the beginning, the player needs to choose their faction: NATO, the UN, or the Soviets.
- UN — default fraction without jokes.
- NATO identifies Communists among YouTubers.
- Soviets identifies Capitalists among YouTubers.
- Save humanity hundreds of years.
- Turn a boring report process into a fun game.
- Return the reputation Institute to its proper place on YouTube.
- Divide YouTubers into two camps: conscientious and adwhores, to show advertisers the way to the first and oppose the second.
- Promote conscientious YouTubers in every possible way.
- Destroy the reputation and income of adwhores who put money above the trust of their audience.
- Make the extension accessible to all possible platforms and understandable for every citizen of the Earth.
Long-term goals (2-3 years):
- Build an international community interested in improving the quality of content on YouTube.
- Help conscientious YouTubers monetize their content by providing an alternative to advertising.
- Make a shame Board consisting of the most corrupt YouTubers.
But what about YouTubers? They will not die of hunger?
- By default, ads are skipped only when there is no checkmark in the video settings that the video contains ads. We want bloggers to start following the rules of the platform that feeds them.
- We are well aware that without advertising, neither the economy, nor YouTube, nor YouTubers will be able to function properly. But advertising must be strictly controlled and within certain limits, otherwise, everyone will suffer from the loss of trust in the platform: first of all, ordinary viewers. Every year the situation is getting worse, we are not going to just look at it: we need to act!
- Our enemy - not a YouTuber, our enemy is unfair adwhore. We need to separate these concepts. Youtuber values its audience and always puts the trust of its audience above the interests of capital. Adwhore parasitizes the platform, enjoys the trust of its viewers, often converting it into trinkets/expensive alcohol, without improving the quality of content.
- Using the collected data, in the future, we will be able to create an accurate “Trust Index” for each blogger, which will determine whether their ads will be blocked (acceptable) by default or not and show if you can trust what they say. A simple tick in the settings will block all ads. As the experience of AdBlock shows, few people disable acceptable ads.
- In the future, we will calculate the approximate amount of money lost due to the extension from each YouTuber and offer subscribers to compensate for them by purchasing merch/subscribing to Patreon, etc.
- You can flexibly configure which ads to block and even allow ads to individual YouTubers.
- All kinds of adblocks exist for more than 10 years. Google and Yandex did not disappear and easily develop and in advertising, and other areas.
- Now the extension is in the Alpha version, there is a long way ahead, many problems and tasks. The expansion is planned to be supported for five years.